Feature Request

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:17 PM
I need the ability to "Export" the entire Process. Currently, TFS only lets you export the "Build in Templates" but we have heavily modified the Agile template and want to store those modifications into Source Control.

The Work Item Compare section appears to do almost everything that is needed to create an archived "Process Template" set except it doesn't actually allows me to export.

Anyways, please add the ability to export a Team Project's entire process including source control settings, work item definitions, categories, build definitions, etc.

Thanks. Great tool! I use it every day.
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Exporting the entire process from an existing Team Project is probably impossible to be honest. You can get a part of the contents like the work item type definitions and source control settings, but things like reports and SharePoint template can't just be "extracted" again out of the Team Project. The process template is really just a script to set up a new Team Project, it's really not intended to extract such a script back out of an existing project.

The recommended approach is really to keep your original Process Template in source control, and while you make the necessary changes to it (and check them in to source control again) upload the modified work item type definitions and other customizations to live Team Projects as needed. But I would always keep the source controlled template as the single true version.
Marked as answer by jelled on 12/11/2014 at 3:49 AM
Dec 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Ok I understand that, but we're over a year away from the "recommended approach". ;)

So is it possible that on some screen you can just bulk export all the items that can be exported, rather than having to go to individual screens for export?
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
It's certainly possible, and I welcome any contributions :-) But it doesn't really fit within the application's mission which is automation across Team Projects. Also, even if you're a year away from the recommended approach, I don't assume you'd be exporting the artifacts every day or week or so? So since there's only a few screens that allow you to export things (the work item types, categories, queries and process configuration) it doesn't feel like it would add that much value to the general public to be honest... The things I see being modified on live projects in the vast majority of cases are only the work item type definitions, and you can export those from a single screen.
Dec 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I agree with your assessment.

Thanks for the responses. Love the project. Perhaps when I'm not busy testing Aircraft avionics, I'll contribute.

By the way, do you have any idea how hard it is to get 20 year old processes designed by people from the 20s (kidding) to switch to ALM??!!?!

Anyways,

Thanks again.